Pages

Monday, August 17, 2009

May posts

May 1, 2009


FRI
1
MAY

My day..

By Alise Van de Bruinhorst
Well I had a pretty boring day.. Just the same old and that kinda sucked cause there was hardly anyone at work.. anyway so that was that... After work it was really crazy.. cause I had to run to the bank and then the post office.. all before 5 which is pushing things most of the time.. cause with a 15 min drive there and then having to wait. Let's just put it this way.. I do have my freak out moments when I have to do both.. I had to go to Marks for my new shoes for work to choose them out so we can pick them up on Monday when we go on the run.. Then back to the West side to deliver a invite.. and then another one.. all on the way home but just slightly off.. so it all takes some time, and then finally to someone who lives not to far from here.. all took some time.. and now I'm tired.. mind you I was at work already so I can't say it was because of that.. anyway so now I need to have my Captain Morgan spiced rum and Sprite fix... ha like that will help me any... if anything I will be sleepier after that.. oh well that means I should get lots of sleep tonight so I will have tons of energy for tomorrow..

May 4, 2009


MON
4
MAY

I didn't think I had that many muscles....

By Alise Van de Bruinhorst
... that would hurt at once!!! Let me tell you if that doesn't tell you I'm really sore I don't know what would.. seeing me when I do something that makes me say ouch??? LOL All day at work if I laughed.. then it was my abdominal muscles.. if I went to stand up then it was the muscles in my arms.. in the vehicle when Etha was driving (she was training me for the town run) and she would go around a corner, and I leaned to either side of the seat... well lets just face it.. apparently I have way to many hurting at once.. cause doing anything and not having it hurt is almost impossible.. other than typing.. LOL.. cause if that hurt I wouldn't be updating this blog..


MON
4
MAY

Saturday's Experience....

By Alise Van de Bruinhorst

Well first of all.. Saturday was a very awesome day! We went with a large group to hang out with Sifra Lagendijk who will be going back to Holland tomorrow one last time. We met at school, from there to Fort Macleod to pick up some more.. and then on to Calgary. Originally the intention had been to have sometime to be able to rollerblade.. turns out things took longer than planned so for some there was time and then not for others.. so in the end no rollerblading for me Even though I'm not really good at it I always enjoy doing it!

So we ate lunch had time to go for a walk/the group who was rollerblading already.. about 20 minutes or so.. then we left for LaserQuest for two games of Laser Tag... The first game I pretty much struck out on my own and nailed the people who I met walking around in the maze.. let me tell you the group of little kids in there was just brutal.. it was supposed to be each on their own fighting for themselves.. uuuummm ya right.. not them little buggers.. they came with a group of 10 at you and that was it.. called running to get out of their path... anyway the first round wasn't bad.. I came in 12th.. Second Game: So we had to go through the whole rule thing twice.. which kinda sucked.. anyway so that done on went our packs again... and off we went into the maze.. yup with a ton of kids again... so we decided that we were going to gang up on them with a group of us.. uummm ya 4 of us against how many of them.. not a really great plan.. I think we did nail them many times.. but it sure didn't get me anywhere.. in the end we had a ton of fun though so that was all that mattered.. that game.. uumm like I said I didn't do nearly as well as the First game.. I think I came in 25th.. so ya not great.. Anyway so if I ever do that again.. I'm on my own... to my way of thinking that worked a lot better! Anyway we had fun so big deal!

After that we had some time so then came the discussion of what shall we do now... cause we hadn't planned to be at the Leisure Centre for a while yet... Let me tell you when you have a group that big.. it isn't great trying to decide what needs to be done!! So should be go rollerblading.. or do we go there now already.. especially cause we had to be in downtown for supper at 5:30... yak yak yak... Finally we all told Nick to tell us what he figured and that was... the Leisure Centre.. so off we went... We got there and another yak session began.. haa haa.. The pool didn't look very big.. and it was packed cause it was a Saturday and of course nice weather so what else can you expect... finally we figured we might as well find out if there is another big/nice place in Calgary.. nope.. K so in we go... There was a wave pool and water slide.. for the most part I think a lot of us spent time on the water slides... we could do the chain thingy with 5 people so that is what we did.. trying to come up with different ways to do it etc... anyway that is why I'm so sore.. I've got bruises on my hips etc. yup not great at all.. But in the end I had fun so that is all that matters..

So that was Swimming.. then the ones who were done went and sat outside waiting for the others to finish, when Alanna Schipper decided that she wanted to go check out the la Chateau outlet store.. since I had driven up with them she asked me if I wanted to go.. and I figured sure why ever not... well then we had to wait for Sifra cause she had actually come with us as well (us being Tom & Alanna, Sifra n' me.) Turned out we didn't have time or patience to wait for her so we took off to go see what we could find.. in the end Alanna found a skirt like she wanted and I found a cute dress.. white with pink polka dots.. Then off we went to supper.. turns out the Navigation thingy had the old address so we ended up on 17th instead of on on 14th.. so we had to call and then John Heikoop had to tell us what the correct address was.. blah blah blah... Ok so away we go.. yup we found it a little late but oh well blame the Nav. system..

Anyway supper info in next post cause this is getting really long.. and eventually when I get the pics from John I will post some..

http://www.sultanstent.ca/Open in a new window

Website is above for those of you who are curious!




MON
4
MAY

the Sultan's Tent..

By Alise Van de Bruinhorst

large

This is the room where we had supper in... it is the following room...

Rabat North
A separate room, in festive Moroccan style, seats up to 30.

Nice and Cozy was forsure.. it was a squeeze but it all worked out in the end and hey we were enjoying ourselves so that is all that mattered.

So we had a 5 course meal.. which was absolutely delicious!

So it started with, a girl coming in and explaining that it is custom to have your hands washed before the meal. So she came in with hand towels which everyone got one of and that was also our napkin through out the meal. Anyway you can see the Kettle and dish on the third table from the right. So what you do is put your hands above the dish and then she pours water over your hands and you rub.. and then dry.. ha ha She told us that we were only to eat with our right hand and generally our thumb and first two fingers. On to the 1st course.. He explained to us that you get to drink it from the bowl the way your mother has always told you not to do it.. now we were talking, at least some people figured so! So first course was soup.. I didn't think I would know what kind it was but I was just looking at the menu and it was the Harira, which is an authentic Moroccan soup with lentils, chick peas, vegetables, and spices.. Second we had Morroccan Vegetable Soup which is felfla, carrots, potatoes and beets. Then our third thing was B'stilla Royale which is chicken, eggs, onions, ginger, saffron, and almonds mixed together like an omelet then it is wrapped with paper thin layers of pastry and the dusted with Icing Sugar and Cinnamon... oh so delicious... yuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmm!!!! Then we had Briq of Merguez which is spicy lamb sausages wrapped in phyllo pastry served with harissa sause and lemon. Then finally on to Entrees.. we had Couscous Royale, so that was couscous on the bottom, and vegetables on top with chicken in the middle.. and prawns and merguez.. all very yummy as well... The couscous we were supposed to put a hot sauce on and then make some of it into a mound on our plate and then into our hand and sorta shake it so that it would form into a ball and then throw it into your mouth.. he had demonstrated this for us and of course it looked so easy.. um think again.. Anyway then we also had a Lamb tagine dish.. I've been trying to figure out which one it is from the menu but I'm not sure so I guess that is that... then they come and wash everyone's hands again and then we finally got dessert, and tea or coffee.. Dessert was Braewat which is a pastry dipped in honey, stuffed with crushed almonds and sprinkled with sesame seeds. Tea was a Moroccan mint tea, and Coffee of course a Moroccan coffee.. generally they drink the tea after a meal because it helps settle the food..

Anyway so that was supper I've posted the link for the website in my post below so if you want to go check it out have at it..

I will post pictures once I get them and then you will probably get to see what all the different food looks like as well as the group picture that we took in front of the restaurant with our waiter... first he took a picture and we were trying to convince him we needed a picture with him on it.. when Maaike took the initiative and grabbed the first gentleman walking along the street and asked him to take a picture for us.. haa haa talk about being assertive Maaike.. It was great though because that really made our day!




MON
4
MAY

Moroccan Music...

By Alise Van de Bruinhorst

Well since we went and ate Moroccan food now I decided to google Moroccan Music..

Enjoy!

http://www.focusmm.com/sound/amusic/domini.midOpen in a new window

For more check out the website below.. there is some pretty interesting sounding stuff on there..

http://www.focusmm.com/morocco/mo_musmn.htmOpen in a new window



May 6, 2009


WED
6
MAY

Napkin Pictures...

By Alise Van de Bruinhorst
DSC_0439
Ok, so here you go... that is what they look like.. Yup in my wedding colors.. Coral and Chocolate Brown.. I also have Light Pink but I couldn't get the right ink for doing this because it is one of the In Colors and SU! doesn't make them in the Craft ink.. so this will work I guess.. ha ha

DSC_0431

Yup, for once I post a picture of only me.. more like someone took a picture of me.. after I took pictures of them.. oh well my camera I do what I like.. I was stampin the & A, J, as well as the July 17, 2009 stamp. Janita was doing the flowers along the bottom which was only one stamp but she was stampin' it 3 times.. and Brit was heat setting them with the heat gun.. I do have a picture of that but just didn't feel like posting those tonight.. maybe tomorrow! Anyway that is all for now..

Which reminds me I need to take some other pictures.. So off I go!



May 8, 2009


FRI
8
MAY

What a day/Week...

By Alise Van de Bruinhorst

Well work has gotten slightly more interesting since they have me doing the run now. I usually leave at about 9:30 and am back around 11 or 11:30 depending on what I have to do or pick up that day. A pretty generic day is drop off at Greyhound, Rabies Samples at the Post Office - Back and then to the front for the regular mail. From there to District Office to drop off stuff and pick up.. and then a few other stops normally. The Provincial Vet Lab which is a daily stop and then back to Greyhound to see if anything came on the bus for us.

It really makes a difference cause this gives me an hour when I first come in to do some stuff and then I go.. when I get back I don't have a ton of stuff to do.. Just unload the truck and then check messages if there is any on the switchboard.. and open mail.. pretty basic.. and then well sit around most of the afternoon cause I don't take minutes anymore so what else am I supposed to do than surf the net.. grrr.. Trust me it really sucks, I don't mind the run but I hate not having anything to do because of it!

Anyway so today was the same thing, and then after work I had some stops to make from there I had to pick up flowers from dad for mom... more like the flowers were supposed to be from us kids for mothers day and then I had to go to Hilltop Greenhouses and pick up a big hanging basket from dad which he gave to her... So in the end supper was late and well after since John was busy Janita, Brit and I worked on favours.. and now.. well I think it is time to think about going to bed.. since usually that takes a while to actually get there I guess I should seriously start doing something about that...

btw.. John is painting our house... aahhhhh! I'm excited.. I can't wait to see how that turns out... And apparently our couch and loveseat came in so he needs to get them sometime..

Tomorrow, well that will be another crazy day.. I'm going out for lunch with a friend and then plan to run in to get ties for the guys.. since I'm picky and don't like the ones we could get with the tuxes we are getting other ones... hmmm what else.. Oh ya that is right.. how could I forget! I plan to work on a quilt that I need to get done for someone else before I get married.. so we shall see how that works out for me! It is all cut out so now it is just sewing and since I figured out which blocks are going with which it will be quick and easy to do so! Anyway that is pretty much all I've got.. so toodles for now!



May 11, 2009


MON
11
MAY

You can tell I'm bored... when...

By Alise Van de Bruinhorst

Well today was a very slow day at work.. so I decided that it was time to do some serious dusting around my desk and the front counter.. more because the janitor who usually does it was on holidays and so it was kinda gross.. Hans was giving me a bad time.. He asked if I was practicing for later.. ummm well I don't really think so.. ha ha.. done more than enough of that growing up so there isn't a whole lot of practicing to be done

Anyway I should go work on finishing the quilt.. mind you I won't get done tonight but hopefully I will get all the seams pressed which will be a relief.. then just laying it all out and sewing it all together and I'm pretty much done! Yay!



May 12, 2009


TUE
12
MAY

Well I may be getting...

By Alise Van de Bruinhorst

I can tell I have obviously not been dealing with stress as well as I thought I was... This morning I woke up with a splitting headache, so ya what did I do.. took a sick day like I could... ha ha. Anyway slept till about 10:30 then got up and though hmm maybe I should go get my hair trial done and see how that works out since I have time today... so that is what I did.. In the end after that I ran over to show Alanna cause she really wanted to see it, and from there now I'm sitting at home.. debating.. should I work on the quilt before chior or should I think about trying to find wedding decorations.. hmmm... I think it is the quilt.. anyway so that is my story for the day!



May 14, 2009


THU
14
MAY

Painting the house..

By Alise Van de Bruinhorst
John_006
Dad hard at it...

John_005
James is working even harder... more like texting someone.. ha ha I could say who but I will leave it at this

John_004
Accent wall in the living room.

John_003
Smaller bedroom aka. the spare room which will most likely be our office space..

John_002



John_001

Well as you guys can see I'm not painting.. choose the colors and I guess the guys get to do the work. I'm not complaining so hey it's all good!

Well there you have a sneek peek, this is from what John sent me so that is about all I can send you. Enjoy!




THU
14
MAY

Quilting again...

By Alise Van de Bruinhorst
Well I'm working on a quilt for someone else.. which I promised them would be done before I got married so trust me hard core quilting right now.. at least tonight once I got my act together and decided that it was more important than reading my book which I'm reading for the second time anyway so I know what happens in the end.. I'm almost done sewing all the rows together now.. one more to go then pressing and yay then I get to sew it all together..after that the border yet and from there to the quilting store.. and then the binding.. so I'm getting there.. it is only a lap size quilt though so tiny in comparison to the king size one that I just finished! I will post pics later so you all can have a peak...

May 16, 2009


SAT
16
MAY

Yesterday evening

By Alise Van de Bruinhorst
Well yesterday evening we went to Opa & Oma's for a visit and the younger kids had gone outside so mom sent Brit and me to check on then... turned out they weren't on the trampoline so we decided that we should get on just for fun.. well.. pretty soon Evert showed up so then it was the three of us.. well turned out Jared was trying to catch Willard and him so then when Jared showed up Evert hopped off.. ha ha Then both of them got onto the tramp and so crack the egg it was... after a while Willard came as well so with the 5 of us.. well lets just put it this way we had a ton of fun... the only thing was apparently I weighed the least of everyone (not surprising) so I would go sailing.. ha ha It's called hanging on to the others to prevent that.. Unfortunately no pics so I can't post any of that.. I did have a really bad side-ache by the time I got off but it was so much fun that I didn't really care... and it definitely gets your blood streaming..


SAT
16
MAY

I got nice and dusty today :P

By Alise Van de Bruinhorst
ha ha.. anyway I havn't done it in forever and Willard got the tractor out for mowing and said it needed to be done. So guess what..... well, Brit wanted to and I half jokingly said I wanted to Evert totally joking said he wanted to In the end I got to cause Willard said well Alise doesn't have that many more chances and she hasn't done it in a long time so yup that is what I did.. Obviously mom agreed.. and so ya I was stuck doing that or folding more laundry which I do every Saturday already.. So I figured it could be a nice change!

May 19, 2009


TUE
19
MAY

I'm all sung out for a few days!

By Alise Van de Bruinhorst
Maybe... cause just watch I will be singing tomorrow on the way to work or on the way home.. depends on how awake I am.. But right now my voice is about done for for a while

May 21, 2009


THU
21
MAY

I'm really tired..and grumpy today!

By Alise Van de Bruinhorst
Well my day started all fine and dandy.. got out on time for once.. yup that is a record for me! Anyway so then when I went on the run today I left about normal time, but then it took FOREVER at one place and so from there I was behind.. grrr!! Mainly because of the persons stupidity! Seriously how hard does it have to be just get me the stuff and be done with it.. nope gotta do things the hard way then finally done.. K so paid by MC and so I can't sign it.. No he insisted.. so we had a debate.. not a bad kind mind you! Anyway work was boring this afternoon, I had some computer issues.. and yup I got a Timmy's Ice Cap so that was a definite plus to my day! Anyway now I'm at home and well somethings apparently just tick me off

May 23, 2009


SAT
23
MAY

I'm glad it is Saturday.. and that chior is done!

By Alise Van de Bruinhorst
Well we had our CD recording for Chior today technically all day but I went for the first half.. and according to someone in the chior board we all showed up "bright eyed and bushy tailed" ha ha So we had to be there at 8:30 and then start recording at 9ish and from there till pretty much lunch time with a quick 10 minute break. So yup more than enough singing for the day for those who are there for the whole day. At least this guy who came down from Calgary sounded like he really knew what he was doing so this way we should have a CD that finally works out! Yay!
4:29 PM | Permalink | 1 comment


May 26, 2009


TUE
26
MAY

Calgary Trip - Section 2

By Alise Van de Bruinhorst
2009-05-02 Calgary Trip (35)
John, Christina, Sifra.. and half of Corina's head apparently

2009-05-02 Calgary Trip (37)
William and Marty, fully enjoying their meal!

2009-05-02 Calgary Trip (38)
Marty, Sarah, Janae

2009-05-02 Calgary Trip (42)
Dan, and Richard

2009-05-02 Calgary Trip (44)
Frazer, Bruce, Chris, Tom, Alanna, Me, Maaike, Nick, Brent, Dana, William...

2009-05-02 Calgary Trip (45)
Frazer washing his hands after we were done eating.

2009-05-02 Calgary Trip (47)
Time to clean the mess off of the tables.. let me tell you eating with your fingers is quite the experience!

2009-05-02 Calgary Trip (49)



2009-05-02 Calgary Trip (53)
Pouring the tea that is common for Morrocans to have after their meal to help settle their food... it was really good!

2009-05-02 Calgary Trip (54)
And finally out waitress with our dessert.




TUE
26
MAY

Pictures Calgary Trip - Section 1

By Alise Van de Bruinhorst
2009-05-02 Calgary Trip (4)

Group Picture.. it was a bit of a challange to get the Waiter on the picture but Maaike took the initiative to stop the first person who happened to be walking by on the street and asked him to take the picture for us.. we were all thrilled! ha ha

Ok, so I'm going to try and do this so it makes sense... So I will start with the back row first :)

Richard, Dana M., Nick, Maaike, Tom, Chris, Marty, Bruce, Brent, and John

Middle row: Sarah M. Sarah S., Alanna, William, Frazer, Marie, Alex

Front Row: Me, Corina, Sifra, Janae, Christina, Sherri, our Waiter and finally Dan.

So that is the full list of the gang who went to Calgary on that day...

2009-05-02 Calgary Trip (7)

Tom, Me (all relaxed after a busy day) Nick

2009-05-02 Calgary Trip (11)
Chris, Tom, Alanna, Me, Maaike, Nick.. standing: William, Frazer, Sarah.. Sitting: Dana, Sarah, Marty

2009-05-02 Calgary Trip (13)
Check that out more food...

2009-05-02 Calgary Trip (15)
Time to start thinking about eating again....

2009-05-02 Calgary Trip (17)
Time to think about digging in again!!

2009-05-02 Calgary Trip (19)
Contemplating what looks good to eat..

2009-05-02 Calgary Trip (22)
Our main Course of the meal finally!

2009-05-02 Calgary Trip (24)
Close up, the sauce in the front was a hot sauce.

2009-05-02 Calgary Trip (30)
absolutely delicious!!

2009-05-02 Calgary Trip (32)


2009-05-02 Calgary Trip (34)





TUE
26
MAY

I'm sick of having colds...

By Alise Van de Bruinhorst

Apparently I have come down with another cold which is driving me crazy.. Especially cause the weather is so nice now(finally) and then to be stuck with this..

Anyway so John was here for the weekend which was awesome.. very short but well worth it.. I guess I do miss him now but the less I think about it the better because otherwise I get all sad and grumpy.. so I'm not going there I guess... ha ha

I just started thinking about it... duh tonight is usually chior night and I can't believe that that is done and over with for me.. I'm happy in a way.. and sad on the other hand.. I always really enjoyed chior so ya whatever.... I will leave it at that. LOL



May 30, 2009


SAT
30
MAY

After a busy week..

By Alise Van de Bruinhorst

I know I always say that but it seems like this week has just been really bad. First of all Monday I went to visit a friend. I needed a distraction from the fact that John had gone home again... I was home on time so nothing crazy, just started coming down with a cold so that sucked. Then Tuesday I stayed at home.. so nothing crazy as far as that went. Wednesday.. well wasn't supposed to be anything spectacular ha ha, anyway so of course that was the night they decided to have my shower. Then Thursday night I actually went to bed way on time cause I felt so lousy! Yesterday, well I guess was great fun, ha ha

Anyway so yesterday evening I had a grad party to go to for several people who graduated from University so, first of all we had a BBQ after which we headed over to school to play Baseball or Soccer. Got back to the Vander Weide's house around ten or so. Then sat around a bonfire... it was quite the fire for a bit.. then Bruce had bought a ton of fire works for celebration so he lite those and then I pretty much went home.. and believe it or not I was home before my curfew Mostly because I had to get up early this morning.

Anyway so we started the Farmers Market today, so it was good to be back just slightly crazy and it sucks to do it when your tired and have a cold to boot... Anyway I had a good time this morning I bought some tea... oh crap spending more money.... it seems like that is all I do these days but what can I say. I love tea and couldn't resist and it isn't like I'm buying some random thing that won't get used so.... whatever. Anyway so that was pretty much my day because now that I'm home I'm pretty much chilling... Cause I have to go play piano for one of our neighbours. They have a grand piano and we had said that we wanted to come over sometime to play, but is just never happened so she said that we just needed to set a night and do it so today is the day.. So no talking to John at this rate... sob sob....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave your thoughts and ideas for me and others. There is always things we can learn from each other. I ask that you be considerate of others when commenting. Unkind remarks are subject to be removed at my discretion.