On Saturday we went out and bought the fabric for the baby quilt. I had decided that I didn't want to do green's or yellows in my quilt but wanted something that was strictly for a girl or boy. Since we aren't finding out what JR. is obviously I had to come up with a different idea. So in the end I decided that one side is having pinks, and the other side blues, with neutrals being browns/beige's so that each side would still have a similar fabric so I could make the curtains/valances.
Here is the fabrics I choose:
The middle 4 are my neutrals that are on both sides.
Today I cut out the fabric for the girls side into the blocks and laid them out on the floor. Now they are just waiting to be sewn together. The blue fabrics are just cut into rectangles yet... first I have to finish one side because I don't want quilt fabric laying all over my living room floor!
Here is a peek at the girl side as it is right now:
I had less darks than the pattern told me too, but that was because I wanted it to have a fair amount of pinks. In the end for the most part I tried to use the fabrics that had a distinct dark brown pattern/design on them for the darks.
Through the process of laying out the fabrics I was once again reminded of the similarities between quilting and puzzling. Especially when you are trying to figure out a way to have certain fabrics not touching, and not have 2 of the same in one block. Definitely makes life interesting!
I'll be back once I get the boy side started! :)