Pages

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

One Year - In Loving Memory

Well today has brought back many thoughts and sad memories of what happened last year! Last year, early in the morning I got a phone call from my mom/dad letting us know that Opa had passed away early that morning. Being back in Alberta this past weekend especially had it's difficult moments since being on the farm there is so many things that you see that Opa always did. This of course makes the empty place in the family very noticable, I think especially for me since I'm not there everyday then I tend to notice/feel it more when I do go "home".

When we went to visit Oma, it is always hard because it is so noticable. Opa's chair is empty, you expect him to be there, to hear him say something and then he isn't which makes it hard. Also seeing her so sad and alone doesn't make it any easier! I am so glad that I was able to be there at Christmas time to see her, and let her know how much I still care. It also helps fill her day somewhat as well which is good.

Thursday night after we got there I gave her a quick call to let her know that we had arrived safely, and then asked if we could stop by the next morning. So Friday morning first thing we went to see her for about an hour, and then in the afternoon I went again without John for a while, since it is easier for her to speak dutch. Saturday afternoon she came to eat lunch at Mom and Dad's with all of us, then in the evening, Christmas Day, we went to eat dinner there with Tanya & Jacob. This of course helped fill her day a little as well. On Monday evening she stopped by, and of course we had to say good-bye since we were going to be leaving the next morning :(  So in the end I actually saw her quite a few times when I was there, which isn't to hard since she lives right next door to my parents as well.


Now at the end of this post I do want to mention one last thing. I can't believe that it has been a year since I received my permanant resident status, that very same day. I still have to say that it all seemed to have worked out in such an amazing way. Especially because that was the last thing I expected, being able to go to my Opa's funeral was the last thing I thought would happen, but amazingly it did.. I do think that the 29th is always going to be a day full of memories especially because so many things happened in such a short time. It makes me think of this text:

Isaiah 55:8-9 (King James Version)
For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD.

For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

Finally I've also added a picture of Opa & Oma with us on our wedding day.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave your thoughts and ideas for me and others. There is always things we can learn from each other. I ask that you be considerate of others when commenting. Unkind remarks are subject to be removed at my discretion.