Pages

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Tomato Sauce Making

Well I decided that this year, unlike last year, I am actually going to tackle making my own Tomato Sauce! John's dad has a ton of tomato plants in his garden, so many that he doesn't know what to do with half of them other than give them away LOL :) Anyway so I went over there on Monday night with John and picked almost a 5 gallon bucket full of tomatoes, some regular peppers, and a bunch of Jalepeno peppers, Habanero peppers etc. so today was the day to start making sauces!

So here is what I used/did to make it.

5 gallon pail of tomatoes - Wash and blend well, this takes care of the need to peel, and un-seed them

Put into large pan(s)

Bring to a boil then add the following:

2 1/2 cups chopped onions
1/2 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped - that was my final measurement after it was cut
1 TbspBasil
2 Tbsp Oregano
1/2 cup Olive Oil
2 Tbsp Butter - keeps foaming down
1 Habenero Pepper (optional)
2 small Jalepeno Peppers (optional)

Simmer for a few hours stirring occasionally, or you can cook it less depending on how much of a fresh tomato taste you like (a tid bit of info I found somewhere).

Once finished simmering, you can either can the sauce, or cool and put in Quart size freezer bags, then freeze.

Also another tip: if canning use less onions/garlic because you can always add more later when using it. :)

Anyway here are some pictures!



Peppers galore!!

Fresh Parsley out of my vegetable garden.. now I have my work cut out for me and then I need to dry it.. even though I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to do with that much of it... I'll probably cut it until I get sick of it and then throw the rest out.

The Tomato Paste can's that I emptied for the sauce... looked so cool standing in a row that I just had to take a picture of the! :D

Anyway that is my story for the day.. tomorrow I'm going to see if I can't get the Hot Pepper sauce made!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave your thoughts and ideas for me and others. There is always things we can learn from each other. I ask that you be considerate of others when commenting. Unkind remarks are subject to be removed at my discretion.